The Advantages of Private Music Lessons
When students work with a private music teacher they get the personalized one-on-one instruction that is so important. They meet them usually once a week for 30 minutes or up to an hour and for the rest of the week they are expected to practice on their own. Besides teaching students all of the important aspects of learning how to play an instrument, a private music teacher will provide:
- Hands on instruction – they can demonstrate, show, let students hear and feel the proper way to use an instrument.
- Instant feedback – while students can learn fundamentals from a book or video, there is no one there to correct them or help when they need it or encourage and praise them when they are.
- Personalized training – private music teacher helps to choose the exercises and repertoire that is appropriate for each student at their level to ensure their progress and right direction right from start.
- Goal setting – together with instructor, students can set realistic goals that match their particular needs, desires and abilities.
- Constant support and encouragement – everyone can stumble or get stuck when studying music. The role of the private teacher is of a mentor who can help to find the way and get students to next level of their progress.
But that’s not all! A private music teacher can offer you opportunities to showcase your new skills by including you in concerts that they organize. If you have aspirations to become a professional musician, a private teacher can guide you to the right schools to further your music study. If you want to get out and perform professionally, a private teacher might be able to open some doors for you through their connections.
While it is true that taking private lessons is more expensive than an online course or watching YouTube, the advantages far outweigh the expense. There is nothing like having the support of someone who can track your progress and celebrate your success.